A Fun Time With Mountains

“At the beginning of the trail, brain and heart both are crammed with the debris of living among too many people. My mind careens from one human concern to another, from the dangers of plutonium to a leak in the gutter, like a pinball trapped in its labyrinth of posts” (Feasting on Mountains 58)

I love hiking in the mountains. It is one of my favorite past times and my camping trip in Alaska was the most memorable because of the plethora of mountains we traversed. I can relate with this quote directly as it is a feeling which I have experienced many times. You never realize how much is swirling around your head until it all dwindles out and you are simply left with what is around you.

“When the exercise of your limbs affords you pleasure, and the play of your senses upon the various objects and shows of nature quickens and stimulates your spirit, your relation to the world and to yourself is what it should be- simple and direct and wholesome” (Burrough 21)

This quote drew to me as a response to the quote above. I feel like they go hand in hand and lead into each other. As the civilized word drifts from your mind, you more able to gain this “relation to the world” Burrough describes.