Of Wolves and Weasels

We recently read the short passage, Living Like Weasels, by Annie Dillard and upon finishing the passage and trying to understand Dillard’s message I was reminded of a song that has similar ideas.

The song, Furr, by Blitzen Trapper, tells the story of the narrator who goes to woods and becomes part of a pack of wolves. the singer says, “For my flesh had turned to fur, yeah, And my thoughts, they surely were, Turned to instinct and obedience to God”. This mirrors Dillards sentiment that we should be encouraged to turn to instinct like the weasel and act in a pure way, doing what we know best.

The singer goes on the to conclude that the life of the wolf was not for him and return to the civilized world but urges the listener not to forget the wild life he enjoyed for a time. The song concludes, “ So if you’re gonna get made, don’t be be afraid of what you’ve learned”, echoing Dillard’s assertion that she “would like to learn, or remember, how to live”. Again we, see a parallel with Dillard, where they encourage others to explore the simplicity of nature and wilderness.

Feel free to listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTSriPZCQo