Final Project

My final project is a continuation of my performance piece. I wanted to explore the behavioral shifts encouraged by social media and new technology. I decided to go through my daily routine while very obviously taking videos on snapchat of myself. I had been thinking of ways to push my earlier piece to become more dynamic. I decided that putting my Snapchat experiment in both private and public settings would be an interesting way to compare the dynamic. I tried to take a few videos everywhere I went in an afternoon. It was much more difficult than I expected. I found myself joking about the project or trying to defend it to friends I encountered along the way. I felt extremely uncomfortable in front of camera in a way I’ve never experienced before. The camera’s presence gave me a heightened sense of self-awareness. Snapchat is ultimately a social platform, and constantly Snapchatting my day made me grow more and more concerned with how much time I was spending on social media, others perceptions of me and my own image.  The video piece would up inducing a sense of paranoia and discomfort which we all feel in an age where media has become relevant in all areas of our life. I hope my video performance piece alludes to the obsessive, invasive nature of social media.