Sound Art Project-FGM

My topic is about Female Genital Cutting. For the first part of this project, I choose Aisha’s story, in which she shared her memories in an effort to encourage other women to come forward and join in the chorus of FGM survivors who are demanding an end to the brutal practice. She told the story in first-person narrative. I found five different people to read her stories ‘in her perspective’. An interesting part is that I found a male voice to read the beginning and ending part, which can lead the audience to pay more attention to hear the women’s voice. I include the audio file of a documentary about FGM after Aisha’s story. The Guardian does this interview of some survivors sharing the pain. Most of them are speaking their native language instead of English, which I think make it even stronger although some audience may not understand them. We can feel the pain when hearing them talking about the memories of FGM.

In this project, I choose people from different background and people who are not familiar with FGM to read this story. I also include interviews with language that most of the audience may not be able to understand without translation. My goal of doing this is to let the audience feel the pain of those women and raise societal awareness to pay attention to this brutal practice and its relationship to women’s rights and human rights.

Most of hose who did the recordings for this project said that they knew FGM but had never heard those women talking about this. Reading their own stories makes them feel the pain. My friends also pointed out that even they did not understand the interview part, but the power of the language and the emotions are very strong.