Crazy Thunder & Hailstorm

For this project I knew I wanted to record one of my field hockey practices in the indoor court, because I am always surprised at how loud we get and all the different sounds coming from the sticks tapping on the ball and the ball smashing into the metal goal cage. I decided I was only going to pick my idea of what it most sounded like through the recording after listening to the track multiple times. After hearing it I automatically thought of a loud storm at night while you’re lying in bed listening to it hit the shingles on your roof. The sounds were quite loud so I thought it represented a hailstorm, where large chunks of frozen rain were hitting your rooftop or the ground. There were also sounds that came from the goalie saving the ball which represented thunder, as well as the background sounds of the soccer team practicing in the court next to us.

One thing I struggled with was the amount of voices and talking that was picked up with Iphone recorder. I recorded this before we had the demo of the library recorders in class, but those may have helped with the background noises and the voices. (I really found out how much my coaches talked during practice!) Another issue was clipping a 2 hour practice into a 5 minute video, where I had to try and clip out the best sounds and try and make it into a nice flow of a storm. While also making parts choppy where necessary which was the way I heard the storm and thought went well together. If I had more time with the project I would be able to cut out most of the voices which would make the idea much more believable and realistic.

I uploaded this track to my Soundcloud where I used relevant hashtags, but I have no followers on there. So, I posted the link to my Facebook wall to see what feedback I would get. I am still waiting on any comments or feedback but I will give it time!

#hail #thunder #storm #lightning #roofshingles #hailthesizeofgolfballs

One thought on “Crazy Thunder & Hailstorm

1. I really appreciate your interest in transformative sound. That you heard different sounds in your usual hockey game…