at the train station

I really enjoyed creating my idea for this project and the execution. One day when I was driving back to campus I saw an old train station covered with murals. The murals show old fashioned figures waiting for the train. I wanted to recreate the murals with people standing in front of them. In this project, my friends are performing as the murals show and interacting with the people in the murals. The project as a whole is my friends performing waiting for the train and seeing the train arriving, without actually seeing the train at all.

On social media, this project got very little feedback. On Facebook, the series got some likes but not a normal amount. None of the pictures show me, and many of my Facebook friends may not know the models, discouraging them from commenting or liking. On Instagram, I posted the first photo in the series. This photo got many likes but not as many as normal also. My social media accounts normally depict what I do in my daily life, and these photos do not depict that. My audience may have seen the photos as out of place or unusual. My social media accounts are also private so no outside viewers were able to see the content. But overall, I do not think the lack of feedback speaks to the meaning behind the photos.

One thought on “at the train station

1. Your analysis for why you didn’t get a huge response with your project on social media makes a lot of sense. Our “friends” become used to narratives about us that we have worked to create or others have helped to create. YOu use the train station as a staging area and have your models interact with the space. In some of the photos it is clearer there is an interaction and that adds to a level of believability even though there is a level of absurdity.