Gardens are getting started all over the Valley!
Every Ivy League School has a Community Garden or Student Farm:
1. Brown University: Garden Project
2. Columbia University: Food Sustainability Project & Community Garden
3. Cornell University: Dilmun Hill Student Farm
4. Dartmouth College: Dartmouth Organic Farm
5. Harvard University:Harvard Community Garden
6. Princeton University: Garden
7. University of Pennsylvania: the Penn Garden
8. Yale University: The Yale Farm
Other Notable US College Farms:
Middlebury College Organic Garden -Vermont
Rutgers University’s Cook Student Organic Farm– New Jersey
The Sterling College Farm– Vermont
The Cal Poly Organic Farm– California
See the Rodale Institute website for a more geographically varied list.
College Ranker released this list of their top 40 college farm ranking; and College Values Online released this top 30 list. We do not endorse either of these as rankings, but they are useful lists of college farms!
Are you interested in starting a campus farm or garden or otherwise interested in how and why these programs have started? Find a college garden how-to here on Campus Farmers, a project of Bon Appetit for encouraging student growers.
Want to know more about campus farms? Try reading Fields of Learning, a collection of essays about the student farm movement in North America edited by Laura Sayre and Sean Clark (2011)