Auditions for seating placement occur at the beginning of the fall semester as outlined below.
Note: Percussionists do not audition. If you are interested in playing in the Percussion Section, fill out the Audition Request Form, and indicate that you are a percussionist. Be sure to indicate your experience with keyboard percussion.
Auditions for 2017-2018
Only incoming students will audition for placement. If you are returning to the LCCB, I will place you without an audition. Please contact me if you would like me to consider moving your placement.
For incoming students: please follow the procedure below. Auditions will be held the first Monday of classes (August 29, 2016) beginning at 3:00 p.m.
The procedure and requirements for auditions are as follows:
- A short solo piece which demonstrates technique and musicianship. This can be solo classical repertoire (of any level), but should not be a pop song.
- A short excerpt from this season’s repertoire (posted below)
- Sight Reading
The auditions will be held on Sunday, August 27, 2017 beginning at 3:00 p.m. in Williams Center for the Arts room 234. It is important that you arrange your schedule to accommodate these times. Schedule your audition as early as possible.
- Complete the Audition Request Form. Complete a form for each instrument you are interested in playing.
- I will schedule your time and post it in the audition schedule. Check here frequently.
- Arrive early enough to warm up comfortably before your audition.
- Preparation is very important. Please do not sight read your entire audition.
If you need to postpone your audition, contact me as soon as possible.
The 2017-2018 Season excerpts have been posted. You can download and print these pdf files.
These excerpts are from Mussorgsky/O’RIordan: Pictures at an Exhibition. Listening to the orchestral version by Ravel is strongly recommended.
Clarinet (IX. The Hut of Baba Yaga, end at m. 81)
Bassoon (VIII. Limoges)
Saxophone (all saxophones audition with this excerpt)
Trombone/Euphonium ( X. Great Gate of Kiev, end at R1) (let me know if you need a TC part)
Anyone who wishes to audition on any other instrument should contact Dr. O’RIordan as soon as possible.